Often travelers find it very difficult to save their hunger throughout a feast because the choice of attractive snacks is so big that even a true connoisseur can get lost. Meat delicacies are the most widely spread and popular main dishes. Each restaurant will surely offer its guests to try several kinds of game, which is usually baked on a spit. This method of cooking is the key distinguishing feature of the national cuisine.
Fans of meat food should definitely try Makbus - roast lamb meat with rice, which is flavored with various herbs and spices as it cooks. Haris is a more refined dish. This is gentle lamb stewed with sprouted wheat. Biryani is another original dish. As a rule, in every restaurant it is cooked in accordance with their own unique original recipe. The dish is cooked from rice with small pieces of meat, different sorts of fish and seafood. Because of various combinations of products and spices used while cooking biryani the ready dish can taste completely different.
The choice of fish dishes is also quite impressive. In local restaurants tourists will find a variety of delicacies and exotic food. In addition to dishes guests will be often brought hot cakes, which are a local substitute for bread. Quite often the cake is baked in outdoor cafes right in front of visitors. Chefs can cook them with a variety of fillings. Cakes are served in home restaurants are especially popular.
Vegetarians will enjoy a rich selection of vegetable dishes that are prepared by chefs in a number of ways. Vegetables are used to cook interesting salads and stews, they are roasted on grill and added to rice. Fruit remain the most common type of desserts are fruit. It is simply impossible to find such a choice of exotic fruits in any other restaurant of the world. When it comes to drinks, Arabic coffee has remained the most popular drink for many years. Making coffee is considered a true ritual. The locals have a very reserved approach to alcohol, even though every restaurant features dozens of sorts of wine and other spirits.
The culture of local people and their national traditions, which have been developing over the centuries in Dubai, do not cease to amaze visitors with their beauty and originality. Virtually every area of life has its own unique customs, following which is considered a duty for local residents. During a walk through the streets of the city you can see people dressed in beautiful national costumes. In Dubai many people wear it not only on holidays, but also in their everyday life.
The locals are very hospitable. In order not to hurt them, tourists should consider a few rules of behavior. In no case should travellers refuse an invitation to pay a visit to a house of a local inhabitant. Traditionally, guests are welcomed with a cup of coffee with cardamom. Drinking of not one, but two or three cups is considered a sign of good taste. Do not forget to thank hosts for their hospitality.
Dubai is a beautiful and ancient city, in which tourists will find a large number of interesting architectural and historical monuments. Fans of exciting excursions are recommended to make a walk to Bastakia quarter, in which they will find a lot of old buildings, museums and monuments. While walking through the narrow streets of the city, you will see beautiful buildings of the late 19th century as well as beautiful old mansions and tiny squares. Many of them house craft shops and museums and this fact makes you rest even more interesting.
Some old mansions are decorated with wind towers. These are interesting constructions that were used to determine the direction and strength of wind several centuries ago. Dubai Museum on Al-Fahidi Street is a great way to learn about the history of the city. The museum is located in al-Fahidi Fort. Its walls are the location of most varied collections, starting from antique boats and weapons, to musical instruments, national costumes and jewelry.
Grand Mosque is without a doubt among the most interesting religious sites of the city. The spacious hall of the mosque can accommodate up to 1200 visitors at one time. This is a massive and beautiful structure, which is distinguished by its unique architectural shape and interesting internal structure. Shindaga Tower is one more important architectural object. The tower was built in 1910 and is located not far away from waterfront. Originally the tower was constructed for defensive purposes, but now everyone is welcome to visit it. The top of the tower is equipped with an observation deck.
Shaikh Saeed al Makhtoum house is one more sight tourists simply cannot fail to visit. This is a typical building in the national style made of clay. The building of the house was completed in 1896. The beautiful building with thirty rooms has been completely renovated and now this is one of the most visited museums in Dubai. The decor of halls of the house is very close to the original one that was established by owners of the house.
You will find Heritage village not far from the beautiful house museum. An excursion to this beautiful open-air museum will certainly help you to become imbued with national culture and to appreciate its versatility. Among other attractions of Dubai, which certainly deserve attention of travelers are Diving village and Heritage House. The modern area of Jumeirah is considered an autonomous region and has its own unique attractions.
Travelers can diversify their rest by visiting wonderful entertainment venues, nightclubs, numerous markets and shopping centers. It is worth noting that in addition to nightclubs various local bars serve their clients until late at night. Barasti is widely known as one of the best among them. It is located just a few steps from a beach. Guests of the bar are welcome to stay in one of cozy terraces and enjoy their favorite music and delicious food. Yarba bar is an interesting institution. It is decorated in Indian style and invites guests to participate in incendiary eastern parties.
Garage remains one of the most popular nightclubs in Dubai. It attracts visitors not only by interesting entertainment, but also by original decoration of the main hall. There are several buses and cars inside the club and guests of the club are welcome to rest in them. Visitors of the city have access to all possible types of water entertainment, from traditional romantic cruises and diving to nighttime fishing and other more exotic activities. Dubai is home to a large number of different sports clubs and diving centers, and everyone is welcome to sign up to them.
Dubai International Marine offers boat renting and offers a variety of exciting cruises, and fans of fishing will find all they need in Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club. Other most popular diving centers are 7 Seas Divers, Al Boom Diving and Scuba Arabia. These are the places where tourists can order tours and observe most interesting underwater sights, as well as rent all the necessary equipment for that purpose. Dubai Kart Club will be a wonderful destination for vacationers. This karting club was founded specifically for international competitions of highest level.
Fans of shopping will surely appreciate a huge selection of shopping malls and open-air markets that can be found virtually in every area of the city. Travellers should not forget to visit Deira City Centre Mall. This shopping center is the largest one in the Middle East. In addition to a huge choice of shops the mall has a large leisure center, a cinema and several attractive restaurants. Gold Souk remains the most popular market among travelers. This is the place where visitors can easily buy the most incredible jewelry. Deira Old Souk Market is the best place to shop for spices and memorable souvenirs. Finally, the richest choice of seafood market is offered to visitors in Fish Market.
PREPARING FOR DUBAI: TIPS & HINTS
1. The best way to exchange currency is to use the services of private exchange offices. No additional documents are needed to make an exchange. Before you give the money you want to exchange to an office worker, make sure to check them for authenticity. If exchange office finds fake currency, it can lead to severe punishment, such as a large fine or even imprisonment.
2. Almost all major shopping centers and restaurants accept payments with credit cards of international standard. However, travellers who hope to get a discount when purchasing a product are recommended to get a sufficient amount of cash. Some markets and shops may accept U.S. dollars, but the exchange rate will be significantly undervalued.
3. Tips are not officially accepted in restaurants. They can be included in the total score only in elite institutions. However, if you want to thank an obliging waiter, you can add a small monetary reward in the amount of 10% of your order. It will be gladly accepted.
The attitude to drinking in Dubai is quite ambiguous. Despite the fact that every restaurant and bar serves a wide selection of beverages, their use is allowed in specially designated places only. Appearance on a street of the city in a drunken state is a violation of public order, and so in some cases such behavior can lead visitors to large fines.
5. Travelers should take into account a number of local rules of etiquette. When you enter a house or mosque do not forget to take your shoes off. Sending and receiving money, food and other items must be done with your right hand only.
Tourists are not allowed to photograph local people without their permission as this will be considered a sign of bad manners and disrespect. Women dressed in long black robes cannot be photographed due to religious reasons. Also, tourists are prohibited to take pictures of strategically important facilities (police stations, the city’s airport area or sea berths).
7. Do not forget to choose your clothes carefully when going for a walk. Extravagant and colorful apparel as well as too revealing clothes can cause confusion among other people. Visitors wearing too open or revealing clothes may be prohibited to enter the territory of religious sites and other attractions.
8. The best way to make phone calls to other cities and countries is to use special public phones that can be found close to all major shopping and entertainment centers. These pay phones are operated by plastic cards, which can be purchased at newsstands or in grocery stores. Calls from hotels are usually the most expensive ones.
9. The most suitable time for rest is the period from October to May. At this time of year Dubai is distinguished by most favorable weather. In summer the average temperature is around 40 degrees. This weather is perfect for beach rest, but it can ruin you excursion program.
10. Power supply voltage ranges from 220 to 240V. The majority of hotels are equipped with the standard English type sockets. Tourists can easily purchase electrical adapters in any supermarket or ask them in their hotel.